Polish Poppy Seed Loaves
Prep: 50 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
2 loaves (12 pieces each)
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 large egg yolks, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unwashed poppy seeds
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup raisins
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup finely chopped candied orange peel
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine eggs, yolks and yeast mixture; add to crumb mixture and mix well. Beat in sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide in half. Roll out into two 12-in. squares; cover with plastic wrap.
- In a small skillet, cook and stir unwashed poppy seeds and butter over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the raisins, honey and lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Stir in candied orange peel and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high just until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into poppy seed mixture. Spread over each square to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up each square jelly-roll style; pinch seams to seal.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over cooled loaves.
recipe credit: Taste of Home